Hello from South Africa

New member? Feel free to introduce yourself...

Hello from South Africa

Postby Sallie » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:58 pm

I have just read Assegai and am delighted to have my faith in WS's writings restored. The last book which I read, "Quest", was to my mind, far too imaginative and unbelievable. I have read all of WS's books many times over, especially the early ones. Assegai is once again set in old Africa and besides for the 'errors' remarked on in another topic section of this forum, makes for unputdownable reading. Did WS Smith write this alone or did he have an assistant? I ask this because there are sections which are rather more poetically descriptive than in the older books. His descriptions have always been brilliant and bold but in Assegai I found them to be a bit "flowery and feminine" at times, which is the only way I can really put it.
Sallie

Currently Reading: Just finished Assegai

Re: Hello from South Africa

Postby Nefer » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:34 pm

Welcome Sallie - glad to have you on board. I never thought about the descriptions the way you described them. It could be another writer, or more likely it's him getting older and that being reflected in his word choice. :)
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Wolf » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:45 pm

Wel wel, Saly, I agree with you 100%. WS books on Africa topics in the near previous centuries is his best.
I love it
Wolf

Currently Reading: Gold Mine

Postby bayside » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:30 pm

Hi Sallie,
Greetings from Morro Bay, California. My wife and I have gone through every one of W/S books twice -- and never tire of reading them. I almost took a job with Rhodesian Copper when I was working in London in 1957. I worked at the Overseas Visitors Club and made many friends from the African Commonwealth countries. I have mourned every "independence" movement since. Is there any way you could research a Johann Pelzer from Bloemfontain to see if he is still alive? Also, I posted a question -- to which I haven't received any answers: What river did the Carthagenians transit up into Southern Rhodesia in "Sunbird"? Any Ideas?
Best Regards. Hoping you will have info for me. Bayside
bayside

Currently Reading: Selects works of Graham Greene

Postby Nefer » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:51 pm

bayside wrote:I have mourned every "independence" movement since.

I'm the British feel the same way about their former American colony.

All the African countries deserve to be independent and masters of their own destinies, they have had terrible histories under colonial rule.
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby tedd » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:24 pm

Hi Nefer - granted your point about the life led by some of the Africans under colonial rule you may want to balance it with the facts that most of them also lived in peace, were well fed, had free education, were generally happy and content. In Rhodesia in particular (under African rule) they now live in dread and fear, are being killed off or forced to leave their country of birth, subjected to genocide (30,000 to 40,000 Matabele were slaughtered by Mugabes army for no other reason than wanting a share in Government) and are living under starvation conditions dependent on overseas aid if it can get through to them So colonial rule may not have been so bad!
tedd
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby Nefer » Sun May 01, 2011 12:52 pm

Good points tedd.

But I stand by my belief that a 'peaceful' life as a 2nd citizen in the country of your birth can be chaffing.

The current conditions of most countries are dreadful - Botswana being the exception I suppose; as they were a Protectorate and not a Colony. And other former colonies are doing quite well (India for one). Well quite well is relative I suppose, but the overall picture from India is certainly better than that of Zimbabwe!
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby johnrogers » Mon May 02, 2011 1:31 pm

Hi Sallie

I to have read all of wilbur siths novels other than his new one Those in Peril - it is not even available in canada yet for a few more days.My favourite wilbur novel is ( to hard to say ) I loved the courtenays the ballantynes and the egyptian series - I was not overjoyed reading the Quest to much fantasy and magic not my cup of tea and off the track for wilbur ( I think ) My favourite standalone novel was The Sunbird

:lol: favourite author by far Wilbur Smith - by a longshot

johnrogers
Learn to appreciate what you have and quit worrying about what you don't - Remember to think before you speak,people judge you by what you say about others
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Currently Reading: Raven:Blood Eye giles kristian

Return to Introductions