Chronology/Reading order

Discussion about Wilbur Smith's Ballantyne series

Re: Chronology/Reading order

Postby Alyssa » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:44 pm

I started with Monsoon, I read it secretely in the bathroom because my pa said it wasn't for my age, which only made me want to read it more, specially since he talked about it all the time... and then I went down the chronological order of the story till when the lion feeds, then got to the ballantynes, I read all four in three weeks, and I went on with the courtneys till golden fox. I still don't get round to birds of prey, the only one left, i'm finding it hard, knowing how its going to end.
Alyssa

Currently Reading: The White Nile

Postby E-Hoog » Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:52 pm

Birds of Prey is the best of them all! :D
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: D-Day - Stephen Ambrose / Rage - Wilbur Smith

Postby Nefer » Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:03 pm

Alyssa wrote: I read it secretely in the bathroom

That sounds remotely familiar, haha! Good for you!
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby rafiki » Thu May 13, 2010 1:13 pm

Having just read the first three Courtney books Lion, Thunder and Sparrow it seems to me that I should now cross over to read the Ballantyne books Falcon, Men, Angels and Leopard. Then go back to the Courtneys beginning with Burning Shore. The reasoning being that I will then be able to understand Triumph (Courtneys + Ballantynes) when I get to it. Does that maker sense?
rafiki

Currently Reading: Assegai

Postby E-Hoog » Fri May 14, 2010 2:09 am

rafiki wrote:Having just read the first three Courtney books Lion, Thunder and Sparrow it seems to me that I should now cross over to read the Ballantyne books Falcon, Men, Angels and Leopard. Then go back to the Courtneys beginning with Burning Shore. The reasoning being that I will then be able to understand Triumph (Courtneys + Ballantynes) when I get to it. Does that maker sense?

Unfortunately not. While Triumph introduces new members of both Courtney and Ballantyne families, there are no important ties to the Ballantyne character in Triumph and the ones from the other books. One Courtney character in Triumph is a brother of Waite Courtney from Lion but that is also of no importance to the plot. I would personally advise to read the rest of the Courtneys first, but it doesn't matter all that much. Triumph can be read as a stand alone novel, with Assegai following it as basically yet another stand alone novel.
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: D-Day - Stephen Ambrose / Rage - Wilbur Smith

Postby johnrogers » Tue May 18, 2010 11:45 am

Wish there was one more book in the series - I enjoyed the leopard hunts in darkness and could easily read a fifth book in the series
Learn to appreciate what you have and quit worrying about what you don't - Remember to think before you speak,people judge you by what you say about others
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Currently Reading: Raven:Blood Eye giles kristian

Postby scotscraig » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:45 pm

I've read all WS's books and am just going back over them again. Currently reading A falcon flies. Just joined the forum and interesting reading everyone's views about the comparisons between the different families. I love them all, including the taita series and must confess he is probably my favourite WS character but between the ballantynes and courtney's do you think that the preference for the courtneys is maybe in the strength of the lead characters. Compare the original Sean Courtney against Zouga and Centaine against Robyn. I think there is a passion in the main Courtney's that is sometimes slightly missing in the Ballantyne siblings. Also I could never really see Sean Courtney playing as subserviant to any man as Zouga does to Rhodes. Just a thought and my opening gambit for you all :D
scotscraig

Currently Reading: a falcon flies

Postby Geoffrey » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:39 pm

Hi ,well i am a south african born man,and finishing off ballantyne novels angels,wow ,i so am enjoying it its scary,i have travelled the paths in africa written by Mr WS ,as i read the pictures flicker in my minds eye i have never in my life read any other book,except ws ballantyne books i only finished primary school in pretoria grew up in apartheid times i feel as though i am a bit of a Ralph working shoulder to shoulder with the matebes,i could go on for ever,anyway if u ever do get to read this Mr Smith thanks for ure books they have helped me conquer a massive drug addiction.......yabonga baba
Geoffrey

Currently Reading: angels weep

Previous

Return to The Ballantynes