Favourite TV show?

Favourite TV Show

Postby Ada » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:47 am

What is everyone watching at the moment? I don't watch much TV and find it very annoying when I do find a couple of shows worth watching & the channels go and put them up against each other. Now you're saying that's simple, just tape one & watch the other. Well, I can't do that as due to the drought here, we can only water our gardens twice a week & then only at set times. Yes, one of the 'set times' for our house is the same time as the shows I'm watching. Hence we VHS tape one & DVD record the other. Last week I was so cross when the stupid DVD recorder thought it didn't have any space left & stopped 2 minutes before the end of the episode of House we were recording. The 2 minutes were crucial to the story. Thank goodness my daughter had watched it so I found out what happened. (I won't say what the ending was in case there are other House fans who haven't seen the episode although I doublt this will be the case as I think poor old Aussie land is behind all the other countries with most of the series we get here.)

Does anyone else watch House? Hugh Laurie is a brilliant actor - especially if you have seen him in the Blackadder series. The comparison between the 2 roles is amazing. We bought the DVD set of 'The Complete Blackadder' for our daughter last year. None of us had seen all of the episodes & we were quite shocked it received a 2nd season as the first was a dog. Maybe it just didn't translate & the humour required a lot of English history knowledge. The 2nd, 3rd & 4th were good though as most Australians do understand/appreciate English comedy - in fact I think they do it best.

The other show I'm watching is Heroes. We're only up to about the 4th episode. Some people have given up on it but I've decided to stay till the end - I want to know if they can stop the explosion or if it's going to be like the Terminator trilogy - it happened no matter what they did!
Ada
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: The Elephant to Hollywood

Postby delby » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:44 am

At the minute the only t.v. Im watching is wild at heart a drama about a british family who have moved out to africa and run a safari/ holiday/ vet / everything really its quite good Butbvery tame.

Im also really into shameless on channel four i dunno if u will get it in good old oz but if u get the chaqnce i highly recommend it.
WILLIE SMITH IS KING
delby
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: The Slave Stealer By Boyd Upchurch

Postby i_heart_nefie » Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:21 pm

I love Heroes too, Ada!! Every Wednesday at 8:30 I am glued to the tv! It is so interesting and I love trying to figure out things...and I also love it because right after it is Prison Break!!!! Yay!! I try so hard not to find out what will happen from the internet, because like you said, we are so far behind in Aussie Land!!
"I would very much like to come hunting with you please...." - Little Mem
i_heart_nefie
Little Miss Vixen
Little Miss Vixen

Location: On board the 'Sprite' with the Courtneys, or QLD, AUS
Currently Reading: The Sunbird

Postby Monsoon » Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:31 pm

I just don't know what to make of 'Heroes' it hasn't sucked me in yet, although i suppose using my laptop while it is on doesn't help me follow the programme enough :? I'm pretty much up with the plot though.
Ada wrote:
Does anyone else watch House? Hugh Laurie is a brilliant actor - especially if you have seen him in the Blackadder series. The comparison between the 2 roles is amazing. We bought the DVD set of 'The Complete Blackadder' for our daughter last year. None of us had seen all of the episodes & we were quite shocked it received a 2nd season as the first was a dog. Maybe it just didn't translate & the humour required a lot of English history knowledge. The 2nd, 3rd & 4th were good though as most Australians do understand/appreciate English comedy - in fact I think they do it best.

The first time i saw house i could not believe it was Hugh Laurie, i'd only seen him previously playing the squeaky voiced, upper crust type so to see him as this gruff, contrary, unshaven character with a very believable American accent came as quite a shock - definitely a wonderful character.
While a tiger eyed its prey and an eagle raged in a thunderous sky a river of darkness fell upon a burning sun and the wolf cried tis a time to die, thus did the angels weep as power and triumph in those golden eyes did creep.

Monsoon
Founder Member

Currently Reading: Tower Lord

Postby Matbow » Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:46 pm

Monsoon wrote:I just don't know what to make of 'Heroes' it hasn't sucked me in yet, although i suppose using my laptop while it is on doesn't help me follow the programme enough :? I'm pretty much up with the plot though.

I feel exactly the same. The concept is great, but the plot's very slow. I'd like it more if they were being "heroes" in every episode, not just using each ep to build it up to a climax. To much "Lost", not enough "Buffy" (which IMHO combined the season long plot arc with individual episode plots perfectly).

Did anyone here in the UK watch Skins?
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby Egyptian Eyes » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:53 am

The simpsons, south park, and those other comedy channel shows (crank yankers, drawn together, mad tv, etc). But on the other end of the spectrum, i also enjoy various shows on the discovery channel, history channel, and nat geo. From the silly to the dorky, oh my!
Sometimes, we get through adversity only by imagining what the world might be like if our dreams should ever come true.
~Arthur Golden, 'Memoirs of a Geisha'
Egyptian Eyes

Postby i_heart_nefie » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:54 am

and those other comedy channel shows

Do you love Conan O'Brien, Egyptian Eyes?? I love him so much!! And the history channel is great for Egyptian shows.
i_heart_nefie
Little Miss Vixen
Little Miss Vixen

Postby Ada » Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:31 am

We caught parts of a couple of episodes of The Catherine Tate Show over the last 2 weeks. The bits we saw were hillarious and reminded us of Little Britain.

Does anyone in the UK know much about her/the show? (i.e. Has she recorded many episodes/more than one season?)
Ada
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby Matbow » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:03 am

The Catherine Tate show is about as big as Little Britain over here. I think there are about 3 series...

I find it very hit and miss, she is a very good actress and there are some very good characters/scenes but it relies too much on catch phrases rather than actual comedy moments. Funny for the first couple of times you hear it but then you're just laughing at the same joke over and over again...give me an intelligent comedy anyday :)

Slightly OT - but Ricky Gervais in his comedy show "Extras" makes quite a few "comments" about the whole Catch-phrase thing.

For Comic Relief (a charity day with a big live TV show) she filmed a couple of special scenes - one with "Nan" on the set of "Deal or no Deal" and one with Lauren in 10 Downing Street, both hilarious (but only if you get the references, especially DOND):

Deal or No Deal:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=w48HbTXrIbU

10 Downing St/Tony Blair
http://youtube.com/watch?v=OrmIxZrVH-w
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby ellyattc » Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:56 am

At the moment mine are Lost, Scrubs (hilarious) and Peep Show.
Fan of Genesis and Wilbur Smith!
ellyattc

Postby Ada » Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:34 pm

Matt, thanks heaps for the info. & Web connections re Catherine Tate. Lucky for us she's still "new", so the Deal or No Deal utube segment was brilliant. (We have an Aussie version of DOND so understood what was happening.) The 'Nan' character is definitely the best one so far. :D

I know what you mean about the "laughing at the same joke over and over again". We had a new show start last year called The Wedge. The first show we laughed pretty well all the way through but then the second show was the same thing rehashed so we stopped watching it.

You are so lucky to have so many clever comics/comedy shows in the UK. We don't get the Comic Relief shows here but I have seen some one's old VHS copy of a Dr. Who one.

Melbourne is having its annual 'Melbourne International Comedy Festival' at present and I'm looking forward to the Gala which is on TV tomorrow night. Australia has produced quite a few clever comics too but no where near the number the UK or US have produced. It's not because we're not clever/funny it's simply because we have such a small population.
Ada
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby Monsoon » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:53 am

Ada wrote:
You are so lucky to have so many clever comics/comedy shows in the UK. We don't get the Comic Relief shows here but I have seen some one's old VHS copy of a Dr. Who one.

I really think they are a dying breed, there used to be so many great comedy shows but there are so few nowadays. And has already been said they all seem to rely on one format these days as opposed to being naturally funny.
While a tiger eyed its prey and an eagle raged in a thunderous sky a river of darkness fell upon a burning sun and the wolf cried tis a time to die, thus did the angels weep as power and triumph in those golden eyes did creep.

Monsoon
Founder Member

Currently Reading: Tower Lord

Postby i_heart_nefie » Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:17 pm

The Melbourne Comedy Gala is on TV tonight!!! Adam Hills + Dave Hughes + Danny Bhoy + Wil Anderson = the best show ever!
i_heart_nefie
Little Miss Vixen
Little Miss Vixen

Postby John R » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:57 am

don't watch much TV shows but the apprentice is really good, love watching Alan Sugar rip apart the losers
John R
Founder Member

Currently Reading: A Time To Die

Postby Ada » Thu May 17, 2007 11:17 am

I'm still hanging in there with Heroes. We're up to Episode 16 and it's been really good lately with lots of unexpected revelations and some wonderful new characters. Dr. Who (Eccleston) is rather good too although I don't know if he's coming back - he left in a huff in this week's episode.
Ada
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby Matbow » Thu May 17, 2007 11:36 am

Yes, I have to say that I'm liking Heroes too. It's picked up it's pace quite a bit over the past few weeks and answered a lot of questions. My favourite character has to be "Hiro", closely followed by the hot cheer-leader Claire (i think that's her name)...

Can we spoilerify any plot details if anyone feels the need to post them, I think we're at episode 14...

Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Ada » Thu May 17, 2007 8:45 pm

Yes I like Hiro too. He's definitely the best character and very well acted. Also like Mohinder and Peter Petrelli. The best villain is Sylar. He has been very well cast. There's something about his eyebrows that make him look really scary :twisted: . [ :lol: ]

I just did a careful net search (for fear of spoilers) and learned Series 1 has 23 Episodes and there's to be a 2nd Season. I hope they can keep up the quality they have going now.
Ada
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby i_heart_nefie » Fri May 18, 2007 5:01 pm

I love Heroes!!! My fave is Mohinder.....I love Mohinder...anyway, Sylar is so creepy!! Hiro is so cute when he talks. I really love this show, it's got a new time slot on channel 7 though which is stupid!!
i_heart_nefie
Little Miss Vixen
Little Miss Vixen

Postby Kate4Tanus » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:51 am

i_heart_nefie wrote:My fave is Mohinder.....I love Mohinder...

You love Mohinder Emily? I NEVER could have guessed. I only hear his name 57 times a day! Keeping in mind I hear "Sammy!" 360 times a day - it is actually a nice break! :D

Anyways, My favourite shows are Prison Break and Supernatural as well as Heroes. I also watch Grey's Anatomy (only for Addie and Alex- I pretty much hate everyone else lol) and Lost.

I also watch Spicks and Specks of course! Good old Aussie shows! :D
'You were ever more than a tutor to me,' Memnon answered softly. 'You where the father I never knew.'
Kate4Tanus

Postby Rivaan » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:29 am

My faourite show at this moment is definitely Heroes!
I've seen it all, twice now (first time alone, but then I got my sis hooked on it and saw it again, with her ;)).

My favourite character is Peter, followed by Claire, then a joint 3rd position between Hiro and Sylar. I think Zachary Quinto (Sylar) is an awesome actor! He can portray the nuances of an evil character very well.

Yeah, there's going to be a second volume of Heroes, Heroes: Generations. But before then, there's Heroes: Origins :D It will be 6 episodes, each introducing a new hero with new powers. Then, the public (American, I assume) will choose which of the 6 new heroes will make it into Season 2.

There are also some e-comics on the NBC website, if people want to read them. They fill in little details we didn't see in the series, like D.L. when he was in prison, and how he escaped. I recommend looking at them all once you've seen the series first, though.
The four points of the compass be logic, knowledge, wisdom, and the unknown.
Some do bow in that final direction. Others advance upon it. To bow before the one
is to lose sight of the three. I may submit to the unknown, but never to the unknowable.
The man who bows in that final direction is either a saint or a fool. I have no use for either.
- Yama, Lord of Light
Rivaan

PreviousNext

Return to Film & TV