Favourite TV show?

Favourite TV show?

Postby Matbow » Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:54 pm

I'm a bit of a TV addict, so I was wondering - what's everyone favourite TV show?

Mine is Battlestar Gallactica, easily the best show on TV at the moment. It's a modern day version of the 1970's sci-fi drama, telling the story of the human refugees searching for earth after their home planets - the 12 colonies are destroyed by the cylons; robots they created. I can't put into words how awesome this show is...great special effects, great casting and an extremely intellegent and thought provoking script. It's not your typical sci-fi action show, in fact the sci-fi aspect often plays second fiddle to political, religious and topical plot lines. If you like sci-fi you'll love this, if you don't you probably will too!

On an altogether different theme, I'm also a fan of "Two Pints of Lager..." a BBC comedy about of group of disfunctional twenty-somethings. They're crude, rude, slightly offensive and talk about sex lots...exactly like most twentysomethings! The cast is not great, the plot lines are unbelievable but it sure can be funny! For those of you who haven't seen it or heard of it, the great institution that is the BBC actually has 3 or 4 whole episodes online, knock yer self out:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/twopints/

Matt Out
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby John R » Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:59 am

Can't say I seen either of those shows you mention mat. I have heard of 2 pints... though as that has Ralph Little from 'The Royal Family' Some programmes that I really enjoy are:-

'24' Jack Bauer saves the day (or the president) in a roller coaster of events that take place over 24 hours...naturally. Have only seen series 1 and 2 but both were superb.

Auf Weidersien Pet - Series 1, set in Germany, about a bunch of working class guys from britain who go to Dusseldorf for work. Really love this series, but the newer ones I thought were quite poor. Features Timophy Spall and Jimmy Nail.

The Apprentice Already have a thread on this.

Friends Everyone knows about this!

Men Behaving Badly Quality british comedy.

And then the 2 old classics....

Only Fools & Horses and Faulty Towers!
John R
Founder Member

Currently Reading: A Time To Die

Postby Monsoon » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:53 am

I liked the original Battlestar Galactica but haven't seen anything of the new series. Sounds like i am missing a treat.
While a tiger eyed its prey and an eagle raged in a thunderous sky a river of darkness fell upon a burning sun and the wolf cried tis a time to die, thus did the angels weep as power and triumph in those golden eyes did creep.

Monsoon
Founder Member

Currently Reading: Tower Lord

Postby Matbow » Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

@John - I have to agree with most of those, with the exception of the apprentice :D

@Monsoon - You can pick up the Battlestar mini-series DVD for 6 quid from Amazon...its a 3 hour film which was so popular they made it into a full blown programme starting where the mini series ended. If you like the mini series you can get season one for 16 quid from amazon too. I can't rate it highly enough.
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Monsoon » Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:06 am

Cheers Mat, I will check it out.
While a tiger eyed its prey and an eagle raged in a thunderous sky a river of darkness fell upon a burning sun and the wolf cried tis a time to die, thus did the angels weep as power and triumph in those golden eyes did creep.

Monsoon
Founder Member

Postby John R » Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:51 am

Yeah thanks mat you're giving it such a good review I'm very tempted to try it out myself. For 6 quid you can't go wrong!
John R
Founder Member

Postby Matbow » Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:06 pm

For 6 quid you can't go wrong!

Indeed, in fact I'm tempted to buy it myself, even thought I've already seen it! You'll have to let me know what you think if you buy it!

Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby John R » Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:49 am

I also just remembered another show. Does anyone like 'The Office'? I think it's one of the best shows ever!
John R
Founder Member

Postby Bee » Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:42 am

My favorite shows:

Gilmore Girls
Lost
The Amazing Race
Survivor

and that's all I can think of right now... don't have much time to watch them nowadays but they're still my faves!
Bee
Founder Member

Postby John R » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:38 pm

Have never seen Lost but i hear it's really good. Will have to try it sometime.
John R
Founder Member

Postby Bee » Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:56 pm

You should. I recommend it! but i would probably start off with Season 1 It's not the type of show to just jump in and start watching.
Bee
Founder Member

Postby Matbow » Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:23 pm

Yep, I can recommend it too...if you like that sort of thing. Season 2 starts over here in a few months on channel 4 and E4, but like Bee said its not the sort of thing you can just jump into.

Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby aaron » Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:53 pm

I'm addicted to Lost and The West Wing they are the two shows I never fail to miss during the week. Season 2 has started on Irish tv so I'll say no more.
aaron

Postby Bee » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:47 am

Another show that I would probably get into, if I had time and might get into when this semester ends would be CSI. Any CSI watchers out there? I watched a bit of an episode yesterday... pretty interesting...
Bee
Founder Member

Postby John R » Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:01 pm

I've not seen it sorry. Can't say i've heard much about it, in terms of it being good or bad.
John R
Founder Member

Postby Matbow » Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:34 pm

Yeah, it's pretty good...not the sort of thing I watch week in week out, but good once in a while. I think it's very popular around the world.

Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Bee » Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:16 pm

I think so too... I know a few people who like to watch it. Plus it seems like the type of show that you don't need to watch regularly
Bee
Founder Member

Postby Monsoon » Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:57 pm

My girlfriend is mad on CSI and i must admit i like to watch it once in a while. Lost is the one i am really waiting for when the 2nd series starts soon. Although it is a topic i generally steer clear of because too many people are further ahead with this programme than i am, and spoilers tend to abound when talking about it.

Monsoon
Founder Member

Postby Nefer » Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:27 pm

Ooh, how'd I miss this thread?! I love tv :D

Although my watching schedule is down to Lost and Gilmore Girls, I also try & keep up with Smallville, CSI, Desperate Housewives (sometimes) and a new sitcom that's started here called The Loop. It's about a guy who works for some airline company. The comedy is really witty, not the usual sexually demeaning or physical pie-in-face funny. I only watched one ep. b/c there was nothing else to watch when I was having dinner, so I dunno if I'll be able to keep watching it.

CSI's great for the science geeks :D I only watch the original Las Vegas one, the Miami & NY spin-offs are annoying for some reason.
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Matbow » Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:01 pm

Apart from BSG I also make a point of watching/recording - Lost, 24, The OC, Smallville, Stargate SG1, Stargate Atlantis, Alias...

Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Next

Return to Film & TV