The Wilbur Smith Forum Usage and Guidelines

Forum and Website Announcements.

The Wilbur Smith Forum Usage and Guidelines

Postby Matbow » Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:39 pm

~~~~~~~The Wilbur Smith Discussion Forums Usage Guidelines~~~~~~

· Post in the Correct Forum – Resist the temptation to post something off-topic because you think you'll get "better responses" in a particular forum. If you haven't explored the remaining forums, you might just find some interesting topics you'd otherwise miss!

· Subject Lines – Please use descriptive subject lines and use correct punctuation and grammar.

· Reviews - All reviews of one book should be posted in one thread in the correct forum, if a review thread does not exist then please create one! If creating such a thread please add a poll so that you and other forum members can add a rating for the book.

· Multiple Posting for the Sake of Moving up in rank is strongly discouraged. Please make your posts count - people don't want to read posts that are plainly added to rack up post counts. Anyone determined to be doing this will be frozen in their current rank until the administrator/head moderator decides otherwise

· One User Name Per Person - Each forum member may have only one account. If there is some reason your circumstances require an exception to the rule, please PM (private message) Matbow or one of the board moderators and include all registered account names and why you need more than one. If you have an old one you no longer use, please send the account name that can be deleted. (Note - if you don't know how to PM, see the board FAQ.)

· Signature Guidelines - Please attempt to limit your signature line to no more than 5 lines.

· Quote Feature - Please use with discretion and common sense.

· Content of Posts (Sex, language and violence) - The contents of posts should generally be kept within the language used in Wilbur Smith books. If you're not sure about something you'd like to post, run it by the forum moderator!

· Copyrighted Material - Before posting copyrighted material (not owned by you), be sure you are complying with the 'Fair Use Rule' to keep us all out of legal hot-water! In general, please post the author and URL where it was originally written.

· No trolling - Don't make posts that are inflammatory just to get people riled up. Substance is the key to not being labeled a troll.

· No flaming - Flaming will not be tolerated. No member is allowed to engage in public personal attacks on any other member. If criticising ad idea/book please qualify your opinion.

· Spoilers - "A post to a newsgroup that divulges information intended to be a surprise, such as a plot twist in a book". If you're posting in non "book specific" thread and you want to discuss a particular character/plot then please use the spoiler function button.

· Email Addresses - Be sure and keep this current. The forgotten password feature automatically sends your login information to the email address in your profile.

· Private Messages (PM’s) – all registered members are free to PM other registered users. Please remember that although you may of conversed with this person in the forum you do not know them personally, as such please be respectful when Pming.

· Ranks. - Ranks are awarded to members based on the number of posts they have made:

Junior Member: < 25 posts
Member: 25 posts
Member+: 100 posts
Senior Member: 200 posts
Veteran Member: 300 posts
Special Ranks also exist for moderators and respected members.

· Objectionable Posts/PM’s - If you feel a posted message is objectionable, email or PM (private message) the forum moderator(s). Please include the forum name, topic name, page, time and user name of person posting. There may be a short time delay in acting, but the post will be reviewed, and action taken if deemed necessary.

· Possible Actions Taken - Actions could include editing of the objectionable material or deleting of posts altogether. The user will be contacted via email, PM or on a post in the same forum about the issue (in the event the person posting has not provided an email address for reply responses).

· Possible Actions against Unresponsive Offenders - First, every post contains the IP address of the person posting the message - whether you are a registered user or not. Anyone continually behaving in an offensive manner may be banned from the board and will be Reported to their ISP's - We reserve the right to reveal your identity (or whatever information we know about you) in the event of a complaint or legal action arising from any message posted by you.

Administrators and Moderators:

· Who? A dedicated team of forum members moderates the Wilbur Smith Forum. For information on the moderators please select the ”user groups” option at the top of the index screen and select “view information” for the “mods” usergroup.

· What can they do? Moderators can edit, delete, move and split all posts in the forum.

· Admin? The Wilbur Smith Forum is administered by me, Matbow. As administrator I can moderate any forum, send emails to all members, change the layout of the forum, change ranks and post counts etc… Just because I administer the board don’t worry about disagreeing with anything WS related I post, I actively encourage debate and won’t ban you for disagreeing with me – promise!

· Can I become a moderator? When required, new moderators will be selected from the “Veteran Member” rank. Currently there are no plans to have more moderators, but as this forum is growing rapidly more may be required in the not too distant future. If you fall into or are close to the “Veteran Member” rank and would like to be a moderator then please PM Matbow and you will be added to a short list.

Future Plans

The Wilbur Smith Forum plans to expand and grow to become the primary Wilbur Smith Discussion forum on the Internet. We are currently listed on the first page of most search engines, we are linked from the Official Wilbur Smith Website, The Wilbur Smith Wikipedia entry and a number of foreign language Wilbur Smith Fan sites.

Upcoming Improvements:

In the next 6 months the phpBB group (the guys that built the software used to power the forum) will be releasing an all new version of their software. There will be some big changes to the forum when this happens

· Attachments will be allowed.

· Sub-Forum structure within “General Discussion Forum” and “Other authors” forums to allow greater functionality.

· User Control Panel Much improved user control panel.

· New Look Modern styling.

If you have any thoughts or comments about the guidelines and/or proposed changes then please PM me.

Matbow
8/01/2006
Update - 11/05/2006
Last edited by Matbow on Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Ranks

Postby Matbow » Thu May 11, 2006 7:11 am

Please note - I have changed the required post count for each rank. The required posts now are:

Junior Member: < 25 posts
Member: 25 posts
Member+: 100 posts
Senior Member: 200 posts
Veteran Member: 300 posts
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Re: The Wilbur Smith Forum Usage and Guidelines

Postby simonstad » Sun May 06, 2012 10:46 am

Hi - I'm a new boy to the site. My brief story:
One evening during my first job -1969 - my landlady enthused about 'When the Lion Feeds' and insisted I read it. I couldn't imagine enjoying one of her books, but it blew me away. I had to go to Africa and get some action like Sean Courtney! Result - I left for Cape Town on a 2-year contract. Didn't copy Sean's action plan!, but after a couple of weeks started dating a special girl. We were married in Paarl and I brought her back to UK and set up a business importing wines from SA. It'll be 40 years next year, and after 2 sons and 3 grandchildren I'd like to say a genuine 'Thanks Wilbur' for enriching my life. Wish I could say it in person!
simonstad

Currently Reading: Rage

Re: The Wilbur Smith Forum Usage and Guidelines

Postby trinsekorps » Wed May 09, 2012 1:24 pm

Hi Simonstad,

Great story, funny how the smallest things can have such a major impact on our lifes.
Take care!
trinsekorps

Currently Reading: A falcon flies

Return to Forum Announcements