Intro/Reading order

Discussion about Wilbur Smith's Egyptian series.

Intro/Reading order

Postby Matbow » Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:01 pm

The order to read the Egyptian series isn't as clear cut as in the Ballantynes and Courtneys.

Definately read Rivergod first, but due to the nature of 7th scroll I don't believe there is a need to read the rest in order. Having said that, the way I read is:

Rivergod - definately 1st
Warlock
7th Scroll
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby Nefer » Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:01 pm

We are of like mind :D
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Bee » Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:16 pm

See I read them in a different order, I started off with Warlock then River God then Seventh Scroll I actually like it that way because when you read River God it makes it more interesting because you know what happens afterwards
Bee
Founder Member

Postby Matbow » Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:31 pm

hmmm, yeah I guess that could work. That's the great things about WS's books- they're a great read on their own, but even better as part of a series, no matter what order you read them in :)

Good to see you back Bee!

Matt
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Phils_jd » Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:48 pm

I was different again

Rivergod
7th Scroll
Warlock

That seemed sort of continuious to me. I agree that all his books can be read as stand alone types.
Phils_jd
Founder Member

Postby Monsoon » Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:29 pm

They are definitely stand alone books and Wilbur didn't ever really plan for them to be read in any order.
While a tiger eyed its prey and an eagle raged in a thunderous sky a river of darkness fell upon a burning sun and the wolf cried tis a time to die, thus did the angels weep as power and triumph in those golden eyes did creep.

Monsoon
Founder Member

Currently Reading: Tower Lord

Postby Bee » Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:08 pm

Yep, but it's just fun to read them in an order, any order is fine, but it's almost like solving a mini mystery/puzzle when you come across something say in Warlock and something from River God comes back from you.
Bee
Founder Member

Postby Monsoon » Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:17 pm

Yes and i can see that some of you prefer different reading orders for these books, which is good because anyone new to the series can start by reading the book which is most readily available to them. How many of us have picked up a book we wanted to read only to find it was book 2 in a series!! Leading us to search for book 1, and could we find it..Nooo! :cry:
While a tiger eyed its prey and an eagle raged in a thunderous sky a river of darkness fell upon a burning sun and the wolf cried tis a time to die, thus did the angels weep as power and triumph in those golden eyes did creep.

Monsoon
Founder Member

Postby Bee » Sat Nov 05, 2005 8:34 pm

Yep, definetely know what that feels like.
Bee
Founder Member

Postby michaelsmum » Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:25 pm

Oh my goodness. I have just at 4am thought I had the order of the Courtneys cracked and having read the messages have been convinced to read (doesn't sound right - sorry!) the Egyptian series. now you tell me the reading order is even more complicated!!
Please, please can we not contact WS and ask him to make this clear???!!!
michaelsmum

Postby Matbow » Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:07 pm

If in doubt use the order I suggested in the first post :D That's the way I chose to read it knowing it was a 3 part series.

Essentially River God is set at the earliest point in time, Warlock follows on from this and then Seventh Scroll is set in the modern day.

Have you read Sunbird michaelsmum? If so that may help me recommend a reading order :D
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby michaelsmum » Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:00 am

I read Subird years ago!
Just realised (arrived in post this morning) that Triumph can be read alone so feel better now as I finished Sparrow Falls a couple of days ago. Stress was keeping me awake at night! I know, I ave no life!!!
My mother always used to tell me, "go with the flow". I HATED it and now I tell it to my kids!!!
michaelsmum

Postby Bee » Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:09 am

I would go with Matbow on this one... stick to the reading in the first post!
Bee
Founder Member

Postby Rivaan » Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:56 pm

Bee wrote:See I read them in a different order, I started off with Warlock then River God then Seventh Scroll I actually like it that way because when you read River God it makes it more interesting because you know what happens afterwards

I am doing it like Bee did; I didn't know it was part of a series when I picked up Warlock. Once I finished it, I just did a search on the net for it (because I was still engrossed) and found out there were two other books in the series. I just finished River God today. To me, both Warlock and River God had sad endings.. *cried at the end of both* Ahem.
Last edited by Rivaan on Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rivaan

Postby Bee » Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:21 am

Lol! I cried too it is a sad ending...
Bee
Founder Member

Postby Nefer » Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:20 pm

I need to add my vote to the crying club as well... This story really touched me.
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Bee » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:14 am

Nefer wrote:I need to add my vote to the crying club as well... This story really touched me.

Crying club.... I like that. Any male members cry at the ending of any of the books or at sad moments? (Just wondering...)
Bee
Founder Member

Postby Rivaan » Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:59 pm

*is male* Lol.
Last edited by Rivaan on Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rivaan

Postby Matbow » Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:05 pm

Didn't exactly cry like a baby, but it did get to me...slightly! And lol at Bee for not realising Meren was male!
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Monsoon » Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:02 pm

Hell yeah i cried at the end of River God! In fact i cried all the way through! :cry: :cry:

Monsoon
Founder Member

Next

Return to The Egyptians